Pretty much anything but the most ideal products are non- perishable, non fragile and those where the shipping costs are not going to blow your profit margins.
If you’re really serious about starting an online business, you should base that business on your own personal skills or interests.
People who build their business around their own personal passions or experience almost always tend to achieve more success FASTER than people who don’t.
The cheapest product for you to supply online is your knowledge. Don’t sell your self short and say you have no knowledge.
Every single person has specialized knowledge or experience on something that could become the foundation of a successful online business.
However, if you find it difficult to pinpoint exactly what that specialized knowledge or experience is, don’t worry! You’re certainly not alone. Begin by making a list of all the jobs you’ve ever had, all the hobbies you’ve ever had, all the volunteer work you’ve ever done,all the times you’ve helped someone and felt really good about it, all the challenging situations you’ve experienced in life.
Then go through that list and use it to find where your areas of skills and interest lie.
Use the questions below to get you going.
- Do you have children? What do you find most the most rewarding about being a parent? What is the most challenging aspect of being a parent?
- What websites do you visit when you’re just “surfing around” online? What topics do these cover?
- Have you ever been recognized for a contribution of services or won an award or trophy ? What was it for?
- Do you have pets? What kinds?
- Have you ever volunteered anywhere? What did you learn through this experience?
- Do you play any sports?
- If you had a million dollars and a week’s worth of free time, what would you do? List the first activities that come to mind.
- Have you ever gone through a particularly challenging experience, and come out of it stronger than ever? What was that challenge, and what did you do to overcome it?
- What lifetime accomplishment are you most proud of? What did you learn from this experience?
- Do you have firsthand knowledge of any medical illnesses or issues? If so, which ones?
- Do you collect anything? what?
- What television shows do you enjoy?
- What kind of music do you listen to?
- Do you ever attend theater events or other events related to “the Arts”?
- Is there anything you’ve always really wanted to do or learn more about, but just haven’t had the time?
Once you have finished, go over your answers, pay special attention to the ones you are most passionate about. These are the areas that are most likely to lead you to the ideal market you should target with your business.
Now narrow your list down to five topics you’re truly passionate about. These topics are going to be the starting point of your research to find your niche market.
These topic’s could be the beginning of a very successful business selling e-books on your specialised topic and remember it should be specialised so that you can target your niche market.